Features and Benefits
For seamless file and print sharing between Mac desktops and Windows servers, only ExtremeZ-IP provides you with advanced features and capabilities that guarantee reliable performance day in, day out. With its latest release, ExtremeZ-IP 7.0 continues to lead the industry with a new generation of innovative features that answer key Mac / Windows connectivity and compatibility needs.
- This ExtremeZ-IP add-on allows Macs to instantly self-restore previous versions of files and folders from the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS). ShadowConnect is an optional, paid add-on.
- Revamped Installer
- Faster and easier with fewer steps.
- Filename Policy Violation Reporting
- Generate a report of all preexisting files that violate your configured Filename Policy.
- Enhanced Time Machine Quotas and Security
- Set custom Time Machine backup quotas on a per-group or per-user level. Time Machine backup data permissions are now controlled to isolate individual backups on Time Machine volumes.
- Performance, Compatibility and Manageability Improvements
- Ongoing improvements to optimize performance, provide greater compatibility with the Mac OS and third-party applications, and enhance configuration and monitoring options.
- Proven & Supported
- Remains the solution of choice for thousands of production workflows regardless of the number of Macs connected to the server. ExtremeZ-IP is the only Windows AFP server product being actively maintained and supported since 1999.
- Full Support for the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP)
Designed for the Macintosh, AFP is the recommended file sharing protocol for the Mac and has been enhanced with each release of Mac OS X. ExtremeZ-IP remains the only Windows server to be fully compatible with the Mac OS X AFP protocol and includes support for:
- Long File Names - allows Mac OS X clients to create files and folders that have names longer than 31 characters
- Large Files > 2GB - allows Mac OS X clients to access, create, and copy files on the server that are larger than 2GB
- Windows Shortcuts - ensures workflows and links set up for Windows clients can be accessed by Mac users
- Time Machine - fully supports self-service backup and restore by Mac clients, including per-user backup quota management (10.5 or later only)
- International Language/Unicode - fully supports the Unicode (and Kanji) capabilities of Mac OS X
- Manipulation of Windows Access Control Lists (ACLS)
- Mac OS X Extended Attributes
- File Name Policy Enforcement
ExtremeZ-IP gives administrators the flexibility to define and enforce file naming policies on their server. Policy enforcement keeps files that break naming policies out of important workflows, delivers improved compatibility between Macs, Windows and other platforms all without Administrator intervention, and results in better utilization of disk space by keeping files off the server that don't belong there.
- No Client Software is Required
- ExtremeZ-IP's core file server functionality leverages the AppleShare client built into every Mac.
- Reconnect Seamlessly
- Supports the innovative "reconnect" facilities of the AFP protocol, which allows a Mac that loses connectivity to the server to seamlessly re-establish connectivity, authentication, and all of its open files without data loss. ExtremeZ-IP is the only AFP server besides Apple's XServe that supports this technology.
- Support for Microsoft DFS Namespaces and Home Directories
ExtremeZ-IP's DFSConnect is the only solution for providing Macs with access to DFS resources over the AFP file sharing protocol. Learn more about ExtremeZ-IP's DFSConnect DFS support.
- Supports Apples Innovative Network Spotlight
Full content searching is accomplished in ExtremeZ-IP by bringing the best of both worlds together for the user Network Spotlight on the Mac, and Windows Search on the server. Mac users connected to an ExtremeZ-IP file server can type a phrase and immediately get back a list of all the files on the server that contain that phrase.
- Only Windows Server solution on the market that allows full content searching from the Mac to a Windows-based file share.
- Allows users to find the files they need without wasting time browsing through 100s or 1,000s of files.
- Leverages enterprise-class security of Windows Search.
* Windows Cluster does not support Windows Search.
* Requires activation of Microsoft Windows Search on the file server; please contact Group Logic if you want to index more than 1,000,000 files on a server.
- Integrates with Active Directory
Simplifies server administration by allowing Mac clients to be authenticated directly against Active Directory on logon. ExtremeZ-IP enforces the Windows file permissions configured on your file server for all Mac clients - you get exactly what you intended. File permissions can be set directly using standard Windows administrator tools.
- Encrypted Logins & Long Passwords - Supports both long and encrypted passwords via the DHX UAM (user authentication module) built into Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.
- Password expiration notification
- Home Directory Support, including Accessed Based Enumerations (ABEs) - Simplifies the configuration of home directories, saving users from having to searchthrough thousands of folders.
- Support for Disk Quotas
- Kerberos / Single Sign-on (SSO) - supports Enterprise-class single sign-on authentication of Mac clients against Active Directory using Kerberos.
- Supports Windows Server 2008
The only AFP server to support Windows Server 2008, providing the most compatible file and print sharing experience for Mac clients on Microsofts groundbreaking new operating system platform.
- Provides the best in class file sharing for Macs
- Delivers AppleTalk printing support for Windows 2008 servers, for those customers that need to continue providing AppleTalk for print service discovery but want to migrate to Windows 2008.
- IPv6 Compatible
- Insures Mac compatibility and compliance with the 2008 IPv6 Government mandate.
- Bonjour Support
- Supports Bonjour, Apple's Internet standard for browsing and discovering devices over TCP/IP networks, allowing Mac OS X clients to easily find and connect to ExtremeZ-IP servers. ExtremeZ-IP File Server is the only Windows-based server to fully support Bonjour.
Scalability & Performance
- Most Scalable AFP Server on the Market
- Supports significantly more users than any other AFP server solution.
- Supports Microsoft Clustering
- Provides increased availability, scalability, and support for server consolidation efforts. ExtremeZ-IP supports fast failover with no indexing at startup, as well as multi-node clustering configurations. Multiple virtual servers can be supported per cluster node, with each virtual server running in its own memory space to provide for better stability and scalability.
- Immediate Startup
- Eliminates the need to index volumes at startup, providing higher availability and significantly reduced downtime in case of server restarts. Other solutions require hours to index in some situations.
- Blazing Search Speeds
- Offers increased search speeds significantly faster than SMB and Windows built-in Services for Macintosh (SFM). ExtremeZ-IP 7.0 adds unique, optional support for full content searching on Windows servers by Mac OS X 10.5 clients using Apples innovative Network Spotlight feature.
- Unlimited Number of Files
- Can share an unlimited number of files across the entire file server.
- Tuned for the Mac
- Leverages Group Logic's extensive knowledge of the unique behavior of Mac file sharing workflows with sophisticated caching strategies to provide the best performance and stability for Macs on the market. Caching allows more user requests to be handled without having to go to disk, which is typically the key performance bottleneck in modern server systems.
- Full Support for ExtremeZ-IP Zidget™
Users can browse for file servers through a simple Dashboard widget or web interface. The ExtremeZ-IP Zidget allows administrators to completely eliminate AppleTalk from their network, while preserving the simple-ease-of-use that AppleTalk provided for service discovery.
Users can quickly and easily discover and setup print queues - no configuration or end user PPD selection required! Administators can:
- Organize printers by "zones" to map to legacy AppleTalk services
- Build a simple hierarchy so users can search on location or other charactersistics
- Set up maps or other web pages that allow users to browse directly to printers and have them configured with a single click
- Overcome and workaround the limitations of Bonjour on the WAN
- Force PPD Download
- Reduces print errors due to incorrectly installed PPDs and improves ease of use for users by automatically downloading and installing the correct PPD and hiding all options from the end user. Administrators can specify which PPD is used for each print queue.
- Built-In Print Accounting
- Increase your control over enterprise- wide printing with ExtremeZ-IP Print Accounting, our print-tracking software. ExtremeZ-IP Print Accounting is compatible with most software packages on Mac OS X, supports printing via TCP/IP or AppleTalk, and works with any print spooler or printer.
- Flexible Print Spooling Destinations
- Including Windows print queues, LPR, AppleTalk and Drop Folders.